Oildepot.ca now offers engine coolant kits for sale in Canada. The coolant samples are analyzed by a lab in Edmonton. This comprehensive procedure can test ethylene glycol or propylene glycol used in gasoline or diesel engines. This testing is performed at the same lab that conducts the oil analysis service we offer. For those simply wanting to test pH, freeze point and boil point, check out our antifreeze test strips.
What Is The Process?
- To get a price, contact us using the form on this page. Put “coolant testing” in the “Questions or Comments” area.
- To place an order, simply call us direct at 1-800-748-5781.
- The kit would be shipped to you by Loomis Express from Mississauga in the East or Edmonton in the West.
- Contents of the kit includes a 4 oz. sterile bottle and engine information form.
- Collect your coolant sample and ship it to the Edmonton lab.
- Once the sample reaches the lab, expect a result by email in 1-2 business days.
Why Perform Engine Coolant Analysis?
There are two main reasons why coolant analysis can be helpful.
Coolant analysis can be part of a regular maintenance program. The lab result will offer a definitive verdict on whether the coolant is suitable for continued use. This can take the guesswork out of when to change out engine coolant.
This procedure can also determine if an engine or cooling system has an issue. Problems such as a head gasket failure and excessive corrosion or depositing can be determined.
What Is The Sampling Procedure?
- Run engine up to operating temperature to allow for adequate coolant circulation.
- Allow engine to cool for twenty minutes before opening rad cap or draining sample.
- There are two preferable sampling areas. The most representative sample would be found by drawing direct from the radiator using a vampire pump. The second-best option would be draining from the petcock at the bottom of the radiator (if equipped).
- If using the petcock option, be sure to clean the area beforehand. Allow coolant to drain for a few seconds before grabbing sample. Then top-up the radiator with fresh coolant.
- The overflow tank is not an ideal location to draw a sample. The overflow tank tends to be a resting place for sediment and deposits.
Coolant Analysis Test Result Data Points
The test result will show the following:
- Is The Coolant Suitable For Continued Use?
- Metals (17 types shown)
- pH levels
- Glycol % (Ethylene or Propylene)
- Freeze Point
- Boil Point
- Supplemental Coolant Additive (SCA) Number
- Total Dissolved Solids
- Specific Conductance
- Total Hardness
- Visuals (color, oil, fuel, magnetic precipitate,
non-magnetic precipitate, odor & foam)
Questions? Contact us using the form on this page or call us at 1-800-748-5781.