Below is a vintage snowmobile commercial from 1977. It features the Sno-Jet Kawasaki SST 440. Kawasaki purchased the Sno-Jet snowmobile company in 1976. For the 1977 season, they branded the models as “Sno-Jet Kawasaki”. These 1977 models were very similar to the Sno-Jet machines from the previous year.
We go further in-depth into the history of Kawasaki snowmobiles here.
While the announcer is touting the performance capabilities of this snowmobile, note that this 1977 SST 440 did not use a Kawasaki engine. Yamaha motors were actually under the hoods of the SST models. Also note that the video labels this commercial from 1976. It may have aired in late 1976, but the snowmobile is from the 1977 model-year.
Specifications For The 1977 Sno-Jet Kawasaki SST 440
- Engine: Yamaha SS433F, fan-cooled, 2-stroke, twin cylinder
- Displacement: 433cc
- Bore X Stroke 68mm X 59.6mm
- Carburetor: twin 36mm Mikuni VM36
- Ignition: CDI
- Spark Plug: NGK B-9EV
- Clutch: Arctic Cat Hex Drive
- Horsepower: 47 @ 6800 rpm
- Fuel Capacity: 6.5 US gallons
- Fuel/Oil Mix Ratio: 25:1
- Weight (dry): 360 lbs.
- Overall Length: 102″
- Width: 35.5″
- Overall Height: 28″ (without windshield)
- Suspension Type: Slide rail
- Ski Suspension Type: Monoleaf with shocks
- Track Length: 116″
- Track Width: 15″
- Brake Type: Disc
- Instrumentation: Speedometer, tachometer
- Price: $1895 ($CAD) (approx. $7400 in today’s dollars)