What were the best selling motor oil viscosities last year?
If you’re wondering if 5W-30 motor oil still outsells 5W-20 in gasoline-powered vehicles or if 15W-40 diesel oil is still relevant, we’ve compiled our sales number for the past year. Let’s examine the market share for each viscosity grade in the categories listed below. Plus we’ll list our top 15 best selling motor oil products of the last year.
- Passenger Car/Light Truck/Gasoline Engine Oils
- Diesel Engine Oils
- European Formula Engine Oils
Please keep in mind that this data is based on our sales and may not necessarily reflect the motor oil market as a whole.
The Most Popular Engine Oil Grades For Passenger Car/Light Truck/Gasoline Engines
While 5W-30 is still the most popular viscosity, 5W-20 and 0W-20 are quickly gaining ground. Compared to last year’s numbers, 5W-30 has lost roughly 7 percentage points, while 5W-20 gained a single percentage point and 0W-20 gained about 4 points. We’re seeing 0W-20 being recommended for more vehicles every year. Note that when the numbers are combined, 0W-20 and 5W-20 are commanding more market share than 5W-30 overall. As car manufacturers are turning to lighter engine oils for fuel economy gains, expect 5W-30 to be specified in fewer new vehicles going forward. In fact, if industry rumblings are correct, we could see 0W-16 engine oils being specified for new cars in the next year or two.
The Best Selling Diesel Engine Oil Viscosity Grades
The classic 15W-40 diesel engine oil grade still put up very strong sales numbers in 2015. This was based on the sales of three different 15W-40 products in our line-up. The versatile 5W-40 diesel grade took almost 40% of sales based on the strength of “DEO” Premium 5W-40. This full synthetic 5W-40 is a great choice for year-round use in most diesel applications.
The Best Selling European Formula Engine Oil Types
Mid-SAPS 5W-40 still outsells Low-SAPS 5W-30 by a significant margin, while Full-SAPS 5W-40 sales are still very strong. Here is an explanation of the proper applications for each European engine oil type.
Top Selling AMSOIL Motor Oils At Oildepot.ca In 2015
- (XLF) XL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
- (XLM) XL 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil
- (DEO) Premium 5W-40 Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil
- (ASL) Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
- (DME) Premium 15W-40 Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil
- (ALM) Signature Series 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil
- (AFL) 5W-40 European Improved ESP Synthetic Motor Oil
- (AEL) 5W-30 European Improved ESP Synthetic Motor Oil
- (OEM) OE 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil
- (OEF) OE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
- (ASM) Signature Series 5W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil
- (AME) 15W-40 Heavy-Duty Synthetic Diesel and Marine Motor Oil
- (AZO) Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil
- (OED) OE 15W-40 Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil)
- (OEZ) OE 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil