Back in mid-2009, AMSOIL discontinued recommending their EaO oil filters for many Toyota/Lexus applications, as some of these engines were prone to sludge formation. Ultimately some EaO filters were pulled and replaced with WIX or Mann filters until they could get a handle on the situation. Simply put, AMSOIL could not market filters labeled for 25000 mile service intervals in vehicles that were prone to sludge. AMSOIL has now taken 11 smaller Ea filters that are and re-released them as “Ea15K”. The “15K” stands for 15000 miles (24000KM). Prices are slightly lower on these units. The larger filters are still known as “EaO” and carry the 25000 mile (40000KM) service interval. The series is now know as AMSOIL EaO/Ea15K Oil Filters.
AMSOIL has release a Q & A on the subject:
1. Question: Why has AMSOIL changed the service life recommendation on a limited number of Ea Oil Filters from 25,000 miles to 15,000 miles?
Answer: After months of research and testing, AMSOIL determined that the engine technologies used in the vehicles to which these filters apply are simply too demanding on oil filters of this size (65mm – 68mm cans) to continue offering 25,000‐mile intervals. The methods vehicle manufacturers are using to meet government mandates for fuel efficiency and emissions reduction, including unique fuel injection systems and exhaust gas recirculation, are negatively impacting motor oil and oil filtration. The level of increased contaminants generated by these technologies, combined with smaller sump sizes and some historically sludgy engines drove the decision to move 11 Ea Oil Filters to 15,000‐mile service intervals. Ea Oil Filters recommended for 15,000‐mile service intervals are designated by product code Ea15K.
2. Question: What are the stock numbers of the 11 Ea Filters that are changing from 25,000‐ to 15,000‐mile intervals?
Old Stock #………..New Stock #
EaO09 . . . . . . . . . . Ea15K09
EaO10 . . . . . . . . . . Ea15K10
EaO12 . . . . . . . . . . Ea15K12
EaO13 . . . . . . . . . . Ea15K13
EaO20 . . . . . . . . . . Ea15K20
EaO29 . . . . . . . . . . Ea15K29
EaO32 . . . . . . . . . . Ea15K32
EaO33 . . . . . . . . . . Ea15K33
EaO46 . . . . . . . . . . Ea15K46
EaO50 . . . . . . . . . . Ea15K50
EaO51 . . . . . . . . . . Ea15K51
3. Question: What is the severe‐service recommendation for 15,000‐mile Ea Oil Filters?
Answer: Ea Filters carrying the 15,000‐mile recommendation do not carry separate recommendations for normal and severe service. When used in conjunction with AMSOIL synthetic motor oils, AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters are guaranteed for extended service life:
• Ea Filters designated with product code Ea15K are recommended for 15,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in normal or severe service.
• Ea Filters designated with product code EaO are recommended for 25,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in normal service or 15,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, in severe service.
Consult the AMSOIL Online Application Guide to determine the appropriate filter for each application. When AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters are used with a motor oil other than AMSOIL motor oil the filter should be changed according to the vehicle manufacturer recommendation.
4. Question: Are the filtration properties of 15,000‐mile Ea Oil Filters the same as those of the 25,000‐mile Ea Oil Filters?
Answer: Yes. AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters still incorporate the same superior synthetic media designed to remove smaller, wear‐causing contaminants regardless of their service‐life recommendation.
5. Question: Does AMSOIL anticipate adding to the 15,000‐mile line of Ea Filters or reducing the recommendation for other Ea Filters to 15,000 miles?
Answer: No. Research indicates that there should be no need to add any other 15,000‐mile filters. AMSOIL realizes the value of the 25,000‐mile filter program for Dealers and customers and plans to continue this program moving forward.
6. Question: How is it determined whether the filter is recommended for 15,000 miles or 25,000 miles?
Answer: Ea Filters recommended for 15,000 miles are packaged in a white box with blue trim and labeled with product codes beginning with Ea15K. A red sticker indicating a 15,000‐mile service life has been added to aid identification and ease differentiation. Initially, however, these filters will still have the original label and the EaO stock number on the can. Eventually the labels will be blue as well and the Ea15K stock number will be reflected on the labels. The 25,000‐mile Ea Filters will remain in the same box and maintain the same stock numbers.
7. Question: Of the 11 new 15,000‐mile Ea Filters, can any still be purchased as 25,000‐mile Ea Filters?
Answer: No. None of the Ea Oil Filters included in this change are available for 25,000‐mile service intervals. All other AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters will remain 25,000‐mile oil filters.
8. Question: This Ea Oil Filter was recommended for 25,000 miles when purchased, but now it’s recommended for 15,000 miles. Does AMSOIL still guarantee this filter for 25,000 miles?
Answer: Yes. Any of these filters purchased prior to the adjustment to service life is warranted for 25,000‐mile intervals. The only exceptions are EaO09, EaO10 and EaO13 filters, which should be exchanged for their updated, 15,000‐mile counterparts.
9. Question: Are 15,000‐mile AMSOIL Ea Filters acceptable for use on Toyota/Lexus/Honda applications?
Answer: Yes. AMSOIL 15,000‐mile Ea Filters have been carefully designed for all applications listed on the Online Product Application Guide, including designated Toyota/Lexus and Honda applications.
For more information see: